- The USPS form is required for anyone who intends to obtain virtual mailbox services in America;
- Filling out the aforementioned form requires a lot of information to be entered properly;
- Clevver provides virtual mailbox services throughout the United States.
It is mandatory for anyone who intends to rent a P.O. box, postal mailbox, or virtual mailbox in the United States to fill out USPS Form 1583. It may seem confusing and rather messy the first time you look at it. The material below will help you better understand what the USPS Form 1583 is for and how to fill it out correctly for your mail forwarding service or PO Box rental.
What Are CMRA and USPS Form 1583? How Are They Connected?
CMRA (Commercial Mail Receiving Agency) is basically any type of private organization that conducts mail operations on behalf of individuals and/or businesses, separate from the national postal administration of the United States. These companies may also receive large parcels in addition to standard mail which can be essential to businesses that deal with physical packages on the regular basis.
The United States Postal Service (USPS) obligates all Commercial Mail Receiving Agencies (CMRAs), like Clevver, to demand a notarized USPS Form 1583 from customers to provide their services.
The purpose of this form is to verify the identity of the individual and to obtain official consent for CMRA (Clevver) to receive and manage mail on the client’s behalf.
Permitted IDs for Notarization
For USPS Form 1583, two forms of identification must be submitted to online notaries during the notarization session — a primary photo ID and a secondary ID with your home address. There is a strictly limited list of documents that can be presented. Here's a list of those ones you can use safely:
- A valid driver's license or non-driver state ID card;
- Armed forces, government, university, or recognized corporate ID;
- Foreign passport;
- Foreigner registration card or certificate of naturalization;
- Current lease, mortgage, or Deed of Trust;
- Voter card;
- Home or auto insurance policy.
Unacceptable Forms of Identification
- Credit cards;
- Social Security Card;
- Birth Certificate.
The USPS Form 1583 can be completed using the following programs Adobe Acrobat, PDFFiller, cloud-based PDF editor, or Adobe Reader.
How to Fill out USPS Form 1583
To complete the USPS Form 1583, one should fill in 16 sections:
- Enter the date when you will finish filling out this form.
- Enter the name of the person who will receive mail from the CMRA. A separate Form 1583 is required for each new person. If the additional person is a spouse, then only identification is required (2 pieces either).
- Accurately state the address that will be issued for your mail service.
- Enter the name and address of the CMRA whose services you intend to use in this section.
- Section 5 is the space provided for the name of a spouse or family member.
- Provide the applicant's full name.
- Provide the applicant's full home address and phone number in Section 7.
- The agent will write in the two identification cards provided. One form of identification will be a photo ID card. Subject to verification.
- If the applicant is a business, name the firm or corporation.
- The application will include the firm's address and phone number.
- List the type of business that receives mail.
- If the applicant for mail forwarding is a firm, list each member who will receive mail at the address of the commercial mail acceptance agent. Reliable identification from each member is obligatory to provide.
- If the applicant is a corporation, the names, and addresses of officers ought to be stated in this section.
- If the business name was registered through a state business division, whether it is a new formation or trade name, one must indicate the name, county, state, and date of incorporation.
- This section is for the Notary Public, here ought to be their signature.
- The applicant should sign in section 16. If the applicant is a corporation, the officer must put a signature.
Where can I find a notary public?
If you are a US resident, most local banks have an employee who is also a notary public. Other possible ways to handle this task are to contact independent contractors in your city in person or through online services that will notarize your documents remotely. The experts at Clevver can help you with notarizing your USPS Form 1583 online when you apply for a virtual mailbox.
What if I live outside the US?
If you aren’t a US resident and need the services of a notary public, you can refer to your local consulate. It is possible that also you may need to talk to an international law attorney. Contact us for more details.
Is Form 1583 a prerequisite for forwarding mail?
Yes, in order for a commercial mail acceptance agent to forward mail to your residence, you must provide this form along with proof of your identity.
Must USPS Form 1583 be renewed?
Your provider must inform you of all foreseen and unforeseen changes on this subject via email and/or in your postal mailbox as well.
How many people can use one postal mailbox?
Considering that a personal notarized form 1583 is required to obtain a virtual mailbox, it means that only the applicant (one natural person, the designated person on behalf of the company or company name) who has filled out the form can use the mailbox. It's a good idea to consult the rules from the USPS website to be up-to-date.
Is the virtual mailbox address a real address?
Every mailbox address provided by Clevver is a real address. All mail is actually sent to the address you see when you register your virtual mailbox. Our specialists scan all mail so that you can view it later in the app and decide what you want to do with it.
Who uses virtual mail boxing most often?
It's a great solution for the following groups of people:
- Business people;
- Digital nomads;
Clevver Virtual Mailboxes and the USPS Form 1583
Using a virtual mailbox allows you to make mail processing streamlined, cost-effective, and time-saving. Virtual mailbox services are extremely easy to use. They are especially well-suited for small, start-up, or remote businesses.
The USPS Form 1583 is an essential step for getting a virtual mailbox in the US. We've made the method of its processing very easy for domestic and international applicants.
We offer comprehensive virtual mailbox services. You will be happy to know that the price for this service starts at only 5.95 Euros/month! (Prices may vary from location to location). When you cooperate with us, you can receive a prestigious mailing address in 80+ cities around the globe. Our virtual mailbox service is a team of well-trained professionals and an advanced digital platform for receiving and forwarding your mail. For more information about a virtual mailbox from Clevver, click here.
DISCLOSURE NOTICE: Any legal or tax information in this communication (including any attachments) is for information purposes only and not intended to be used as tax or legal advice. The author is neither an Accountant nor a Lawyer and cannot be made liable. Please, contact your tax accountant or ClevverLegalServices LLP for individual consultation.